Open Educational Resources (OER) are textbooks and ancillary learning materials that are accessible via the Internet at little or no cost to students or institutions. To make the cost of postsecondary education more affordable, many states and institutions have adopted or are seeking to adopt the use of OER.
MHEC is working to assist states and institutions in OER implementation by creating an OER Advisory Committee comprised of institutional representatives who have varying levels of experience implementing OER. MHEC convened Midwestern stakeholders on November 28-30, 2018, to learn from experts in the field of OER, as well as from individuals and groups who have already successfully adopted OER.
Where to find OER
- OER Commons: Supported in part by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, ISKME, the Institute for the Study of Knowledge Management in Education.
- OpenStax CNX: A large collection of CC BY licensed OER supported by Rice University.
- MERLOT: Led by California State University, along with 23 other universities and institutional partners that support the operation of this repository.
- Open Textbook Network: Curated catalog of open textbooks with faculty reviews housed by the University of Minnesota.
- OpenStax: Non-profit open textbook publishing company housed at Rice University that offers optional add-ons from outside partners.
- BC Campus Open Education Resources: A collection of textbooks created in British Columbia.
- Open SUNY: Textbooks developed by the SUNY system.
|Gretchen Bartelson||Northwest Iowa Community College||Iowa|
|Andy Bennett||Kansas State University||Kansas|
|Deb Brennan||Central Community College||Nebraska|
|Kim Carlson||University of Nebraska at Kearney||Nebraska|
|Megan FitzGibbon||Minnesota Office of Higher Education||Minnesota|
|Catherine Fraser Riehle||University of Nebraska - Lincoln||Nebraska|
|Monte Kramer||South Dakota Board of Regents||South Dakota|
|Poonam Kumar||Saginaw Valley State University||Michigan|
|Brian Lindshield||Kansas State University||Kansas|
|Pat Mielke||Western Technical College||Wisconsin|
|Ilir Miteza||University of Michigan-Dearborn||Michigan|